Web Sites, Filipino and local. This is a collection of the web sites mentioned on these pages. I'll add more as I find them. However, newspaper web sites are only listed on the Newspapers page. 9/15/99 - see new Filipino Immigrants Association under organizations. 9/23/99 - Lucky and another under Carson.
10/7/00 - A couple of new sites -
www.evis.net.ph - Region VIII, Eastern Visayas, first regional web site.
www.bahaynatin.com - a market in L.A.
Maps for Little Manila in Carson, CA.
- You'll see this area on the left side of the map at
carson.csudh.edu/BigMapOfCarson.htm. And, you can click on things to get more details.
- Yahoo has a map at
You can zoom in and out, and ask for directions.
- The map at
zooms and centers on this area. You can zoom in and click on North and South to see the whole area. The circle symbol does not mark the center of Carson, more like the western edge.
- Or, traffic.maxwell.com/la/index.html
reports on freeway traffic, but it doesn't pinpoint Carson. Some of Carson is in the triangle below "Compton," in the left corner. "Little Manila" is in the upper tip of the five sided shape below that. That's the lower-right corner of where the 110 and 405 Freeways cross.
Carson Web Sites
- S&J Palace may be the first local store in Carson with a site at www.snjpalace.com. The 131 W. Carson St. store is more Oriental, and the 146 W. Carson St. store is more European.
- Heritage, a quarterly magazine, originates in Carson, and they have a web site at
home.earthlink.net/~vgendrano/heritage.html with lots of content also.
- The Los Angeles County Library web site is at
- St. Philomena Catholic Church's site (www.knightsoftdev.com/st.philomena??) was expected last year, but as of 10/29/00 nothing. Can someone help them? They have a rummage sale about once a year. I went and didn't see any good books. The last rummage sale was 8/6 - 8/8/99. Fri & Sat 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. They put a sign on a building to tell people about the sale.
Keep checking. 9/99 - They replaces two tiles on the patio in front of the church, and they are higher than the other tiles. They need to fix it before it trips someone. 9/16/99 - Now there are six high tiles.
- The City of Carson has web sites at carson.csudh.edu/.Carsonca.htm/ and
ci.carson.ca.us. See the South Bay page on MENU for other city sites.
- The Los Angeles County Fire Department, Fire Station 36, has a site at
- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is the police in Carson. They have a site at lasd.org/. The Carson station has a site at www.lasd.org/stations/carson.htm. The Carson Sheriff's station had free tours and an open house 9/18/99 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The 25th. anniversary redication ceremony was at 1 p.m. All were invited.
- The mall in Carson has a web site at www.southbaypavilion.com.
- Lucky supermarket became an Albertsons with a site at www.albertsons.com/lucky.
- www.fcdonline.com . .
"convenient tool for accessing information on Filipino-American businesses and professionals in Southern California and Las Vegas," but it doesn't seem to work yet.
- www.eonweb.com/cgi-shl/foxweb.exe/search^cat=R^zone= . . Three of the restaurants I reviewed are listed here, and I added my reviews. They force you to use numbers through 5 to rate them, which I didn't like. Click on address and map for detailed maps.
- www.altavista.com . . A search for 'Filipino and restaurant and CA' lists a lot of restaurants. Try with Carson and Los Angeles also.
Philippine Web Sites
- www.pinoywebsites.com has recipes and lots of stuff. You can search for keywords like 'restaurant,' 'newspaper,' 'radio,' 'TV,' etc.
- Another at wevzite.com/. They want to provide web sites for these businesses.
- www.gsilink.com has Philippine search engines, but they are rather slow.
- long URL has recipes and food info.
Organizations, Misc, Etc..
- Associated with Veterans group?? - under construction - www.erbfoundation.org.
*Filipino Immigrants Association with a web site at
Their Filipino Today newspaper is the "Official newspaper of the Filipino Immigrants Association." Found the paper at Seafood City. The "Interactive Kitchen," whatever that is, will email recipes to you.
- Philippine Arts and Culture at
viscom.apanet.org/fpac. Sept 18 and 19, 1999 was FPAC Weekend99, "commemorating the centennial of U.S./Philippine relations." It was in San Pedro at Cabrillo Beach from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.. Admission was free and there was free parking if you parked at 22nd. St. and Miner and use the shuttle bus. Why not jeepney rides? Also had ads in Taliba Daily newspaper.
- A Filipino-American organization at
- Tatak Pilipino, an L.A. "Filipino Heritage store," has a site at www.tatakrp.com. They left some free catalogs at Seafood City about 9/5/99.
- Pinoy HelpLine (??) at
www.pintouch.com. Saw in a paper. They want to sell you stuff, so I might not register, or at least not with my real info. Just click on register with no info will get you in.