Newspapers in Little Manila in Carson, CA, USA. More newspapers and details are in the main Newspaper section available from MENU. Also go to
www.pinoywebsites.com, and search for 'newspaper.' The free newspapers are available inside or outside the restaurants, markets, and other shops in this area. Several other free English and Spanish papers are also available. Keep your eyes open. The dates on the papers don't mean too much, you may see them before or after that date.
1/24/01 - New paper: Philippine News Today, first issue 1/22-1/31/01, weekly?
10/29/00 - Ang Peryodiko site did show logo, just error now.
10/8/00 - Diaryo Pilipino went large format on 10/6/00.
8/28/00 - Sometime since last year "Taliba Daily" became "Taliba."
8/26/00 - California Journal for Filipino Americans goes weekly 9/1/00.
8/19/00 - Watch for new paper "World Express" from Taliba due 9/00.
8/17/00 - added Asian American News.
8/3/00 - a few items, look for this date.
6/15/00 - added site for Philippine Times.
5/9/00 - Fixed Philippine NewsLink new city (Long Beach) and Philippine Times email address (delete s). Also, Ang Peryodiko got their web site up.
5/3/00 - see Asian Bulletin.
4/5/00 - added Ang Peryodiko.
2/24/00 - See Philippine Times.
2/19/00 - six changes, mostly towards bottom, see date.
Free With Web Sites
- Asian American News - 8/17/00 - Says 25cents, but this one was free. The second issue dated August 15-21, 2000 was a full-sized weekly paper of 24 pages with assorted USA, Philippine, Asian, and world news with a small food section. One of the more readable papers.
Site at www.aan-online.com.
- Asian Bulletin 5/3/00 - www.asianbulletin.com . . twice a month, in a medium format. 4/14/00 was 24 pages.
- California Examiner - www.firsttri-media.com and/or
. . weekly on Wednesday.
- California Journal for Filipino Americans - www.cjfilam.com . . 8/26/00 - Was printed for the 2nd. and 4th. weekends, but goes weekly 9/1/00. Says they archive three years of news on their site.
- El Economico - www.eleconomico.net/, maybe
www.ptconnect.com/eleconomico . . by the Press-Telegram. Mostly Spanish. This was the only paper in the South Bay with an ad for Notrica's 32nd. Street Market. 8/26/00 - For a few months, no ad; often no paper. The ad was in English and ran from Thursday to Wednesday. They have two stores in Carson and others with very low produce prices. I saw the paper in the newspaper machines in front of Winchell's Donut (AA), but for the last few weeks it has been full of old papers. It's in the machines with a second compartment below the Press-Telegram newspapers. 9/18/99 - You're more likely to get a new paper in the machines at Sav-On (DD) or Donuts (BB) on Friday night at the earlist.
- Filipinos Today - "Official newspaper of the Filipino Immigrants Association" with a web site at
www.usvisasnow.com. Found it at Seafood City. One story: "Are Asian supermarkets killing Filipino stores?" was yes for Daly City. Another story: "Filipinos on the web" didn't list even one URL. The August/September 1999 issue was 16 unnumbered pages. Maybe they're new at this. The "Interactive Kitchen," whatever that is, will email recipes to you.
- Los Angeles Asian Journal - www.asianjournal.com . . Printed for Wed and Sat. The Wed and Sat Food sections had restaurant ads, but Wed had Seafood City ads. Only the first page says 'Los Angeles.'
- Midweek Balita 8/2/00 - www.balita.com. Returned as a twice-a-week paper about 6/00 in conjunction with "Weekend Balita."
- Philippine Post Magazine - www.philpost.com . . Monthly, saw August 1999.
- Philippine Times 2/24/00 - The 2/18 to 2/24/00 issue of 24 pages in a medium format, mostly of RP news, didn't state its period - weekly? Email at PhilippineTimes@aol.com, but if that doesn't work, try all lower case.
6/00 - Minor site at www.insm.com/PhilippineTimes
with no content.
- Weekend Balita - www.balita.com . . Wednesday 8/25/99 issue had ad for Seafood City and Chowking. Was printed twice a week, weekly on web site. 10/9/99 issue went weekly. 8/2/00 - See "Midweek Balita," returned about 6/00.
- World Reporter - www.firsttri-media.com and/or
. . weekly on Friday. They have a food section with recipes, as do a few others.
Free Without Web Sites
- Ang Peryodiko - Weekly, second paper from Carson, 3/31/00 was 4th issue in medium format with 32 pages of news.
Email at email@example.com. Site was up about 5/00 with just logo at www.angperyodiko.com, but 10/00 just says error. Their title font, maybe Old English, is hard to read.
- Asian American Register - Every two weeks, dated the 1st. and the 16th.? The August 16-31, 1999 had Asian and Filipino news and ads. Small newspaper format of 24 pages. 9/18/99 - Email firstname.lastname@example.org. seems to work.
- Asian Examiner - see Taliba.
- Asian Herald Weekly - available on Friday, but dated Wednesday?. Filipino news and ads. 9/1/99 was 32 pages, medium-sized format. 9/18/99 - Email at email@example.com seems to work. Phone 818-343-0470.
- Celebrity Chronicle 2/19/00 - monthly, medium format, January 2000 was 24 pages of "not just entertainment as usual." Email only at TVizmonte@aol.com.
- Diaryo Pilipino - 10/8/00 - 10/6/00 issue went from tabloid (small) to large format. Weekly, world and Filipino-oriented news. Friday 8/27/99 was 36 pages with Seafood City and Chowking ads. Email only at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LifeStyles - Filipino news. 2/19/00 - Was monthly, but the 1/15/2000 issue of 32 pages in a mediun format announced they publish twice a month for the 1st and 15th (?). Email at MediaConUS@aol.com.
- Los Angeles Monitor - Fortnightly with Filipino news and ads. 8/4/99 was 18 pages in a large format. 213-385-3016.
- Manila Mail Los Angeles, The - bi-monthly, small newspaper, not folded of 24 pages. Email only at email@example.com or phone 213-483-1638. Ask for more distribution. 9/20/19 was the first time I've seen it, and only in the video store at the northeast corner of 223rd. St. and Main St.
- Manila-U.S. Times - 9/8/00 issue says it's weekly, but not sure when that happened. Was twice a month, small newspaper, not folded. 8/31/99 issue was 24 pages of Filipino news and ads. Email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The 9/15/99 issue didn't arrive in Carson till 9/22/99.
- Pacific Asian Current - The June 1999 issue, from Walnut, CA was a free, monthly newspaper of 12 pages that somehow got into the South Bay. The all-English paper, by a mostly non-Asian staff(?) was mostly general news with an Asian slant. Email only at email@example.com.
- Philippine Mabuhay News 2/19/00 - from San Diego but got into the Carson area. Large format, twice a month on the 1st and 16th. The 1/16/00 issue was 18 pages. Email only at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Philippine NewsLink 2/19/00 - this may be the first Carson paper. Twice a month, medium format. Second issue dated 2/20/2000 was 16 pages of mostly Philippine, overseas news. Email only at 8/3/00 email@example.com. Mostly in English. By 5/7/00 they had moved to Long Beach.
- San Pedro Catholic Worker, A Quarterly Publication of the - I got the Spring 1999 issue, a small paper of eight pages, containing general news. No internet conection, only an address: 1149 Crestwood St., San Pedro, CA 90732. This paper does get around. It says the price is one cent, but I never see anyone collecting.
- Say! - monthly, medium format. Saw Oct 1999 on 10/7/99 and was 24 pages, mostly in English. Only saw it about two places. Most 'girlie' of the group. Phone 323-669-8255.
- Taliba - 8/26/00 - Was published three days a week: Wed, Fri, and Sat. By 8/00 or before just Wed and Sat. Wednesday 8/25/99 had an ad for Seafood City and and Chowking and was 32 pages of world and Filipino-oriented news. Friday 8/27/99 was 28 pages. Email only at firstname.lastname@example.org. 2/19/00 - the Wednesday edition now looks like a different paper. In big print it says "asian examiner" and "Taliba Midweek Edition." 8/28/00 - Last year it was called Taliba Daily, and they still print that on the inside pages.
- Tribune U.S.A. - Filipino and Asian news. Weekly paper. 8/27/99 was 28 pages. Email only at TriUSA1@aol.com or Tribune@pacbell.net.
- U.S. Asia Today - Weekly with Filipino news and ads. Dated for Tuesday, but I got it the following Friday. 8/24/99 was 28 pages in a large format. 323-254-4803. 9/7/99 had a few recipes and food tips.